AUSTRALIA: "MOUTH OF THE HUNTER" Murray Tyrrell Dies
Murray Tyrrell, one of Australia's most prominent winemakers, died this week at the age of 79. Tyrell, chairman of Hunter Valley-based Tyrrell's Wines, had been ill for the past year."It's a great loss for all of us," industry leader Len Evans said. "He was one of the great, colourful characters of the Australian wine industry."Evans said that Tyrrell, widely proclaimed as "the mouth of the Hunter" for his outspoken championing of the region's wines and was one of the last of the "regional barons"."McGuigan (Brian McGuigan of McGuigan Wines) and I are often bracketed with Murray but we both agree that he was 'Mr Hunter Valley'."Tyrrell had been the first winemaker to popularise Chardonnay and Tyrrell's Vat 47 had probably had more show successes than any other Australian Chardonnay.Originally a cattleman, he took over at Tyrrell's Wines in 1959 and led it to national and international prominence.The 142-year-old, family-controlled company, of which son, Bruce, is now managing director, currently exports about one third of its total production of more than 800,000 cases, its Old Winery and Long Flat labels being widely distributed in the UK and the US.Tyrrell was a major sponsor, personally and through the company, of local and national sports, especially Rugby League teams and Tyrrell's is an official sponsor of the Australian cricket team.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US
- Carbonates in India