AUSTRALIA: "MOUTH OF THE HUNTER" Murray Tyrrell Dies
Murray Tyrrell, one of Australia's most prominent winemakers, died this week at the age of 79. Tyrell, chairman of Hunter Valley-based Tyrrell's Wines, had been ill for the past year."It's a great loss for all of us," industry leader Len Evans said. "He was one of the great, colourful characters of the Australian wine industry."Evans said that Tyrrell, widely proclaimed as "the mouth of the Hunter" for his outspoken championing of the region's wines and was one of the last of the "regional barons"."McGuigan (Brian McGuigan of McGuigan Wines) and I are often bracketed with Murray but we both agree that he was 'Mr Hunter Valley'."Tyrrell had been the first winemaker to popularise Chardonnay and Tyrrell's Vat 47 had probably had more show successes than any other Australian Chardonnay.Originally a cattleman, he took over at Tyrrell's Wines in 1959 and led it to national and international prominence.The 142-year-old, family-controlled company, of which son, Bruce, is now managing director, currently exports about one third of its total production of more than 800,000 cases, its Old Winery and Long Flat labels being widely distributed in the UK and the US.Tyrrell was a major sponsor, personally and through the company, of local and national sports, especially Rugby League teams and Tyrrell's is an official sponsor of the Australian cricket team.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research