UK: Mould forces Strathmore recall
Nearly 30,000 bottles of Strathmore mineral water have been withdrawn from sale in the UK after some were found to contain mould.
The alert came after the substance was found in a number of plastic bottles of Strathmore still mineral water on sale at UK cash-and-carry chain Costco.
The affected products involve bottles produced between the end of July and the end of August. Strathmore's owner, AG Barr, said a faulty filter had caused the problem. The filter, the company said, has since been replaced.
"We have also consulted fully with the Food Standards Agency regarding the affected stock and they are happy with the action we've taken," the company said.
"This issue was in no way harmful to health, as verified by independent experts and was purely a cosmetic problem."
AG Barr, which also produces Irn-Bru, said it has taken "all possible steps" at the Strathmore factory in Scotland "to prevent this issue from happening again."
AG Barr bought Strathmore from US drinks giant Constellation Brands for GBP15m (US$28.1m) in May.
In this month's just-drinks interview, Roger White, chief executive of the Scottish soft drinks producer AG Barr, spoke with Annette Farr about the company's iconic brand Irn-Bru, which has bucked the...
Constellation Europe's Stowells wine brand has been revamped in the UK....
Constellation Brands has announced a change in its investor relations department....
Constellation Brands has sold half of its Matthew Clark wholesale business in the UK....
Constellation Europe has lined up a promotional push for its Kumala wine brand in and around London in the UK....
UK soft drinks group Nichols has snapped up Cariel Soft Drinks....
The board of directors at Constellation Brands has been extended from seven to eight seats....
Constellation Brands has posted an increase in full-year earnings as rising wine sales in North America and a first contribution from its Vincor International business offset challenges in the UK. The...
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Brown-Forman launches brand nutrition website
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends