Vinexpo 2013 - US: Moscato steals share from Rieslings, blends hamper Pinot Noir
Moscato sales are still rocketing in the US
The on-going rise of Moscato in the US is pinching share from Riesling wines, while the growth of blends is affecting Pinot Noir and Malbec sales, according to a Nielsen analyst.
During a presentation at Vinexpo on Wednesday (19 June), Nielsen senior VP Danny Brager flagged that Moscato is now the US' third-biggest-selling white wine varietal. US volumes of the variety have grown by 24.1% in the last year, while sales by value are up 22.8%, Brager said.
Its growth, dubbed 'Moscato Madness', and increasing sales of blends is moving some share from other varities, he added. "The shift in volumes to Moscato is coming from Riesling, while blends are disproportionately affecting Pinot Noirs and Malbecs," Brager said.
Blends represent 40% of new wine products currently, he said.
Moscato and blends are also bringing in a new demographic of wine drinkers to the category. "They are attracting young people and multi-cultural wine drinkers - Hispanics and African Americans are actually drinking more of these sorts of wines than more traditional wines," Brager said.
A new sub-category of "ligh-bodied" wines, beyond light wines, is also emerging in the US, which are low alcohol but have a light fizz, the Nielsen analyst suggested. Retail sales in this new category totalled around US$15m last year.
On packaging, Brager noted that sales of three-litre wine boxes increased 16% in value last year, with volumes up 9.1%.
Meanwhile, on imports into the US, Argentina was up 16.8% in value, and New Zealand wines are leading growth.
On a wider scale, Brager noted that the blurring of lines between alcohol categories is increasing. "You have some products that look like a wine bottle, but are actually based on a beer," he said.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2013....
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets