Vinexpo 2013 - US: Moscato steals share from Rieslings, blends hamper Pinot Noir
Moscato sales are still rocketing in the US
The on-going rise of Moscato in the US is pinching share from Riesling wines, while the growth of blends is affecting Pinot Noir and Malbec sales, according to a Nielsen analyst.
During a presentation at Vinexpo on Wednesday (19 June), Nielsen senior VP Danny Brager flagged that Moscato is now the US' third-biggest-selling white wine varietal. US volumes of the variety have grown by 24.1% in the last year, while sales by value are up 22.8%, Brager said.
Its growth, dubbed 'Moscato Madness', and increasing sales of blends is moving some share from other varities, he added. "The shift in volumes to Moscato is coming from Riesling, while blends are disproportionately affecting Pinot Noirs and Malbecs," Brager said.
Blends represent 40% of new wine products currently, he said.
Moscato and blends are also bringing in a new demographic of wine drinkers to the category. "They are attracting young people and multi-cultural wine drinkers - Hispanics and African Americans are actually drinking more of these sorts of wines than more traditional wines," Brager said.
A new sub-category of "ligh-bodied" wines, beyond light wines, is also emerging in the US, which are low alcohol but have a light fizz, the Nielsen analyst suggested. Retail sales in this new category totalled around US$15m last year.
On packaging, Brager noted that sales of three-litre wine boxes increased 16% in value last year, with volumes up 9.1%.
Meanwhile, on imports into the US, Argentina was up 16.8% in value, and New Zealand wines are leading growth.
On a wider scale, Brager noted that the blurring of lines between alcohol categories is increasing. "You have some products that look like a wine bottle, but are actually based on a beer," he said.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2013....
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research