UK: Morrisons bans 'super-strength' alcohol cans
The UK retailer is supporting the government's Responsibility Deal on alcohol
UK supermarket retailer Morrisons has banned the sale of all canned carbonated products containing more than four units of alcohol.
The move is part of the UK Government's Responsibility Deal, which is seeing suppliers and retailers work with ministers to tackle alcohol-related issues. Morrisons claims it is the first UK retailer to sign up to a pledge on can packaging as part of the deal.
“We hope that signing up to the pledge will help support the Government in reducing the incidence of alcohol-related abuse in the UK,” said Martyn Jones, the group's corporate services director. “We now need other retailers to join us to make this as effective as possible.”
Earlier this month, just-drinks revealed that Anheuser-Busch InBev would stop producing 50cl cans of its 9% abv Tennent's Super Lager as part of a commitment to the Respsonsibility Deal. Its rival, Carlsberg, has yet to confirm its plans for its Skol Super Lager and Special Brew brands, which are affected by the pledge on canned products.
The deadline to sign up to the pledge is the end of this year.
In April, a Department of Health report showed that around 253m units of alcohol had been removed from UK products between 2011 and 2012 as part of the Responsibility Deal.
Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servi...
Carlsberg A/S - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
Synopsis Canadean's "Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Heineken CEO spies trouble ahead for UK
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo puts Bacardi in frame with white rum ads
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Heineken ups sales, profits despite volume squeeze
- Mast-Jagermeister closes Sidney Frank buy
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research