IRELAND: More pubs to close - report
Irish pubs facing cash squeeze
Heineken Ireland's managing director has predicted that more pubs will close down in the country as banks pull overdraft facilities, according to a report.
David Forde said that there are "severe strains" on working capital in Ireland's on-trade and that running a pub was turning into a part-time job as lack of funds reduced opening hours, according to the Irish Examiner newspaper today (16 June).
Forde's comments came at an address to the Cork Chamber Business Breakfast in association with the Irish Examiner.
Nearly one in six jobs in Ireland's alcoholic drinks sector has been lost since the country slipped into recession, said trade body Drinks Industry Group of Ireland (DIGI) in its annual report in March.
Drinks volume sales fell by 9% in 2009, following a 6% drop in 2008. DIGI predicted a further 5% fall in 2010, with the on-trade continuing to be hit disproportionately hard.
Industry leaders praised the Government for reducing duty tax on alcohol by 20% last December.
M&A activity within the beer sector this year has been limited to just the one big transaction, in Mexico. Larry Nelson believes, however, that 2010 could have served as the calm before the storm, wit...
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018