SWEDEN: More guilty in Systembolaget bribery scandal
The investigation into accusations of bribery and scandal at Sweden's state-run alcohol retail monopoly Systembolaget has resulted in the conviction of nine people this week, according to local reports.
Systembolaget has been under investigation since 2003 for employees allegedly taking bribes from drinks distributors to improve the profile of their products in stores.
According to Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter, six former store managers of Systembolaget and three members of staff at distributor Philipson & Soderberg were fined by the Stockholm District Court this week. They were found guilty of paying out or receiving bribes in exchange for having certain products offered in stores across the country.
The newspaper added that four others up on corruption charges had been cleared. These included the CEO of Philipson & Soderberg.
The extent of the fines handed out was not reported.
The investigation has seen more than 100 people charged. In February this year, a group of former Systembolaget store managers were handed fines. Late last year, 18 store managers and two employees at wine distributor Vin-Tradgardh were fined between SEK1,500 and SEK51,000 in the first round of trials concerning the bribes.
Anheuser-Busch has stopped making its drink Spykes due to its "limited volume potential and unfounded criticism"....
Brick Brewing Co. is set to brew Tiger Malt non-alcoholic beer in Canada....
Diageo has added an eleventh flavour variant to its Smirnoff vodka brand in the US....
Coming up at this year's London International Wine & Spirits Fair…...
Diageo North America's has launched its new brand, Smirnoff Source, into the north-east of the US....
Thai Beverage has reported a lift in its first-quarter revenue due to higher beer sales....
The State of Illinois faces the prospect of legal action if legislation passes prohibiting Illinois consumers from purchasing wine from out-of-state wine retailers....
The Norwegian monopoly alcohol retailer Vinmonopolet has reported a significant increase in sales performance for its first quarter....
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Britvic's H1 Performance by Region - Focus
- Alcohol and the risk of breast cancer - ISFAR
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- SABMiller issues currency alert as Africa weakens
- Diageo names Javier Ferran as new chairman
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends