MEXICO/PHILIPPINES: Moody's sceptical on Coca-Cola FEMSA Philippines move
Ratings agency Moody's has doubts about Coca-Cola FEMSA's ability to integrate a bottling business in Asia, after it emerged a deal in the Philippines is on the cards.
This week, Coca-Cola FEMSA said that it is in talks to buy a controlling stake in The Coca-Cola Co's Philippines bottling business. It has 12 months of exclusivity to seal a deal.
The move would be the latest in a spate of acquisitions by Coca-Cola FEMSA, but it is the first potential acquisition outside of the Mexico-based bottler's Latin America heartland. That has worried ratings agency Moody's, which sounded a note of caution on the talks yesterday (22 February).
"Moody's believes that an acquisition in the Philippines could pose significant challenges for Coca-Cola FEMSA given the lack of geographic proximity and as a result of cultural and market dynamics differences of the Asian market," the agency said. In order to avoid a credit downgrade, Moody's said it would need reassurance that the bottler has a sound strategy for developing the Philippines business.
In August, Moody's upgraded Coca-Cola FEMSA from A3 to A2. The bottler is the largest in the global Coca-Cola system in terms of volume.
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Inver House Distillers posts FY profits leap
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research