MEXICO/PHILIPPINES: Moody's sceptical on Coca-Cola FEMSA Philippines move
Ratings agency Moody's has doubts about Coca-Cola FEMSA's ability to integrate a bottling business in Asia, after it emerged a deal in the Philippines is on the cards.
This week, Coca-Cola FEMSA said that it is in talks to buy a controlling stake in The Coca-Cola Co's Philippines bottling business. It has 12 months of exclusivity to seal a deal.
The move would be the latest in a spate of acquisitions by Coca-Cola FEMSA, but it is the first potential acquisition outside of the Mexico-based bottler's Latin America heartland. That has worried ratings agency Moody's, which sounded a note of caution on the talks yesterday (22 February).
"Moody's believes that an acquisition in the Philippines could pose significant challenges for Coca-Cola FEMSA given the lack of geographic proximity and as a result of cultural and market dynamics differences of the Asian market," the agency said. In order to avoid a credit downgrade, Moody's said it would need reassurance that the bottler has a sound strategy for developing the Philippines business.
In August, Moody's upgraded Coca-Cola FEMSA from A3 to A2. The bottler is the largest in the global Coca-Cola system in terms of volume.
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- This week in spirits & wine
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts