GLOBAL: Moody's 'positive' over drinks sector
Global commodity prices are expected to ease
An expected easing of commodity prices and growing consumption in emerging markets has boosted the outlook for the global beverage industry, according to the ratings agency Moody's.
The agency, which changed its outlook for the sector from “stable” to “positive”, said on Monday (11 March) that it expects beverage companies' operating profits to grow by 6% over the next 12 to 18 months as growth returns in “several important emerging markets”. The report said that commodity cost inflation, under pressure for the past three to four years, will ease this year.
“While beer sales have declined in the UK, Australia and, until recently, the US, an expanding middle class will boost demand for premium beers, high-end wine and spirits in countries including China and parts of Latin America,” said Moody's senior VP Linda Montag in “Outlook for Global Beverage Industry Revised to Positive”.
There was also good news on price hikes. “Producers of soft drinks, beer, wine and spirits have all sustained recent price increases, and can selectively continue to raise them without dramatically hurting volumes,” Montag said.
Headwinds included falling consumption of mainstream beers in developed markets, declining consumption of carbonated soft drinks, new excise taxes and continuing economic challenges in Europe, the report said.
The report's views on commodity prices contradict a January Rabobank report that predicted rising costs this year
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Newcastle Brown Ale to lose caramel colouring
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages