US: Montalvo Spirits enters cannabis-based beverages market
Montalvo Spirits has set-up a new unit to develop and acquire cannabis-based beverages.
The firm has established Cannabis Beverage Group (CBG) in Colorado, it said this week. The unit will be developing new brands and “actively seeking non-THC containing cannabis beverages that can be legally purchased throughout the US”.
Sodas, teas, energy drinks, liqueurs, and elixirs will all be considered by the company.
"After careful deliberation, we feel the time is right to begin actively exploring the entry into the cannabis beverage industry,” said Montalvo's CEO, Alex Viecco.
A law legalising the use of cannabis for recreational purposes took effect in Colorado earlier this year. Washington state is also in the process of allowing the legal use of the drug.
“We feel that the industry is in its infancy and will only gain traction as more states begin to work towards legalisation," added Viecco. "Using beverages as an alternative method to smoking may allow more people to access the potential health benefits and further treat their ailments.”
The company said an e-commerce website is also being developed for CBG.
California-based Montalvo's brands include its namesake Tequila, which launched in the US in 2012.
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research