US: Montalvo Spirits enters cannabis-based beverages market
Montalvo Spirits has set-up a new unit to develop and acquire cannabis-based beverages.
The firm has established Cannabis Beverage Group (CBG) in Colorado, it said this week. The unit will be developing new brands and “actively seeking non-THC containing cannabis beverages that can be legally purchased throughout the US”.
Sodas, teas, energy drinks, liqueurs, and elixirs will all be considered by the company.
"After careful deliberation, we feel the time is right to begin actively exploring the entry into the cannabis beverage industry,” said Montalvo's CEO, Alex Viecco.
A law legalising the use of cannabis for recreational purposes took effect in Colorado earlier this year. Washington state is also in the process of allowing the legal use of the drug.
“We feel that the industry is in its infancy and will only gain traction as more states begin to work towards legalisation," added Viecco. "Using beverages as an alternative method to smoking may allow more people to access the potential health benefits and further treat their ailments.”
The company said an e-commerce website is also being developed for CBG.
California-based Montalvo's brands include its namesake Tequila, which launched in the US in 2012.
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research