US: Monster growth drives Hansen Natural Corp's H1 profits
- First-half profits climb by 44.5% to US$139.3m
- Operating profits rise by 37.6% to $220.9m
- Sales reach $818.6m, up 35.6% on 2010
- Monster Energy expansion drives bottom line
Hansen Natural said the Monster Energy brand is growing in excess of the category
Hansen Natural Corp has recorded an increase in first-half profits driven by the energy drink maker's continued expansion of its Monster Energy brand abroad.
The US-based soft drinks company announced yesterday (4 August) that it earned US$139.3m in the six months to the end of June, a 44.5% increase on the prior-year period. Operating profits in the period climbed by 37.6% to reach $220.9m, while sales amounted to $818.6m, up 35.6% from last year.
In the company's second quarter, profits increased by 32% to $84.2m, while operating profits reached $132.5m, a 20.8% lift on the corresponding period in 2010. Sales in the quarter also rose, by 26.4% to $462.1m.
Hansen Natural's chairman and CEO, Rodney Sacks, said that, despite the difficult economic environment - coupled with high gas prices - the energy drink category continues to provide solid growth, with the Monster Energy brand growing in excess of the category.
"The company continued to launch the Monster Energy brand in new international markets during the quarter, with additional launches in South America, Central and Eastern Europe, and Asia planned for the second half of the year," Sacks said. "Our new non-carbonated Monster Rehab energy drink, which was launched in the first quarter, has already become one of our better selling items in the convenience and gas channel and we are very pleased with consumer response. We plan to introduce additional products in the Monster Rehab line later this year."
Click here to view the full earnings release.
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends