US: Monster Energy boosts Hansen Natural in Q1
A rise in sales and market share for Monster Energy has driven Hansen Natural to a 44% jump in net profits for the first quarter of 2009.
Net sales rose by 15% to US$244m for the first three months of 2009, compared to $212m during the same period of last year, California-based Hansen Natural said yesterday (7 May).
Net profits increased to $41.6m from $28.8m, while operating profits rose by nearly 54% to $65.8m, said the group, which reported a net loss for its full-year in 2008.
Hansen attributed the majority of the sales rise to a continuing strong performance from its Monster Energy drink, which, the group added, also grew market share during the quarter in an energy drinks category that has seen slower growth in the US recession.
The firm signalled that teething problems remain in establishing its distribution partnership for Monster with Coca-Cola Enterprises.
The deal, which became effective from the first quarter, has progressed "satisfactorily", said Hansen CEO and chairman Rodney Sacks.
Sacks said that the transition to CCE in Canada has been challenging, but "we are optimistic that we will start to see improved results in this market during the current quarter".
In CCE's Western Europe markets, Sacks said: "Distribution performance in the UK in the first quarter was disappointing, although there are signs of improvement with CCE in that country."
As well as CCE, Hansen has also entered distribution agreements for Monster with Schweppes Australia, Neill Cropper & Co for New Zealand, Luigi Biscaldi Import-Export for Italy and Osborne for Spain.
The Coca-Cola Co reported flat earnings on Tuesday (20 October), with lower-than-expected quarterly revenue hurt by the stronger US dollar. Michelle Russell examines the fallout....
Sales of energy drinks have doubled in the last five years, according to recent research....
There's a new impulse buy opportunity for retailers and an energy/nutrition fix for consumers in the form of a niche, but growing category - the shot. Annette Farr considers the category, and takes a ...
Hansen Natural has reported another quarter of rising profits and sales....
Coca-Cola Spain has launched energy drink Burn con Zumo (Burn with Juice) in the country....
Coca-Cola Amatil has said solid trading in the third quarter of its fiscal year means the soft drinks group is on-track to meet profits guidance....
Coca-Cola Enterprises has announced the appointment of a chief diversity officer....
Coca-Cola Enterprises has posted a lift in profits, despite slipping sales, in its third quarter....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research