US: Monster Beverage's earnings miss not a long-term concern - analyst
Monster's miss on Q2 earnings estimates was down to a slow June, but its ability to grow internationally remains "substantial", according to an analyst.
The California-based energy drinks group reported a sharp rise in net profits and sales yesterday. However, its share price took a hit in after hours trading, down by 19% to US$55.38 per share, as it missed estimates for sales growth.
But analysts Stifel Nicolaus said it believes the dip is "more a function of timing than materially slowing end-demand".
Another reason, it suggested, was due to "product damage associated with the roll-out into Japan and Korea, that will normalise in time".
In international markets, Monsters performed well in Q2 as sales rose by 50% to $153.4m. Stifel Nicolaus was encouraged by this. "We believe the runway for international growth is substantial, as Red Bull’s 2011 non-US sales were 15x Monster’s international sales and growing double-digits more than 20 years after the product’s introduction," it said.
The note added: "While Monster's shares are likely to be pressured near term, given concerns regarding slowing sales growth, we continue to believe the company can achieve a mid-teens sales CAGR through 2015, resulting from continued US share gains, innovation, and international expansion."
As we welcome in the new year, we invite Euromonitor to cast its eye over what 2013 holds for the drinks industry. In the first part of this month's management briefing, the global market research and...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018