US: Monster Beverage's earnings miss not a long-term concern - analyst
Monster's miss on Q2 earnings estimates was down to a slow June, but its ability to grow internationally remains "substantial", according to an analyst.
The California-based energy drinks group reported a sharp rise in net profits and sales yesterday. However, its share price took a hit in after hours trading, down by 19% to US$55.38 per share, as it missed estimates for sales growth.
But analysts Stifel Nicolaus said it believes the dip is "more a function of timing than materially slowing end-demand".
Another reason, it suggested, was due to "product damage associated with the roll-out into Japan and Korea, that will normalise in time".
In international markets, Monsters performed well in Q2 as sales rose by 50% to $153.4m. Stifel Nicolaus was encouraged by this. "We believe the runway for international growth is substantial, as Red Bull’s 2011 non-US sales were 15x Monster’s international sales and growing double-digits more than 20 years after the product’s introduction," it said.
The note added: "While Monster's shares are likely to be pressured near term, given concerns regarding slowing sales growth, we continue to believe the company can achieve a mid-teens sales CAGR through 2015, resulting from continued US share gains, innovation, and international expansion."
As we welcome in the new year, we invite Euromonitor to cast its eye over what 2013 holds for the drinks industry. In the first part of this month's management briefing, the global market research and...
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research