CANADA: Molson Q2 profits up, Brazil volume down
Net sales also rose by 4.4% to C$715.6m from C$685.6m, while overall volumes fell by 2.4%. In Canada, the Montreal-based company saw its market share grow by 0.3% to 44.9%, as sales climbed by 5.1% and beer volume rose by 1.1%. Molson attributed sales and volume growth to stronger sales and slightly higher consumer prices in Canada.
The brewer's success in Canada helped to counter a drop in volume in Brazil. As sales rose by 2.3% and market share increased by 0.2% to 12.9% in the South American country, beer volume fell by 8.2%.
In a statement released with the figures, Daniel O'Neill, president and chief executive, said: "As a result of the softening of the (Brazilian) industry… year-over-year volume growth may be difficult to achieve in the third quarter."
O'Neill predicted, however, that future volume prospects should improve as Molson's Brazilian unit, Kaiser, is in the process of deploying its own sales force across the country.
In the US, Molson's volumes grew by 8.6% thanks to the success of the Molson Canadian brand.
Molson Coors is more likely than not to keep hold of its Brazilian operations because of the huge potential of the market there, an analyst has said. This is despite a run of poor results from the com...
Molson is to start production of Coors' Blue Moon beer for the US market from its Montreal brewery....
First quarter losses announced last week by Molson Coors are wider than originally reported, according to a recent filing....
Molson Coors Brewing Company disappointed investors yesterday by reporting a net loss for the first quarter of 2005. The company said that it had achieved higher consolidated net sales and sales volum...
Molson Coors Brewing Company said yesterday that Daniel J. O'Neill, Vice-chairman, synergies and integration and formerly president and CEO of Molson Inc, has chosen to leave the company May 31 of thi...
Heineken has its eyes on possible acquisitions in Latin America, according to the company's CEO....
Molson Canada has announced it has acquired Ontario microbrewery Creemore Springs Brewery Ltd. Established in 1987, the brewery in Creemore, Ontario, 120 kilometres northwest of Toronto, employs 50 pe...
Peter M. R. Kendall, chief executive officer of Coors Brewers Limited, the European business unit of Molson Coors Brewing Company, will retire from his post on 1 May....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends