CANADA: Molson expands south with Kaiser buy
Combined with Molson's share in the Bavaria, the deal gives the Montreal-based company a 17.8 share in the world's fourth largest beer market.
Molson President and CEO Molson President Dan O'Neill said the deal will help compete against Brazilian beer giant AmBev, which holds 69.9% of the country's beer market.
"We believe that Kaiser's management team and the bottlers will provide considerable expertise in support of this transaction and contribute to the continued success of Molson's operations in Brazil," O'Neill said.
The transaction will lead to a merger between Kaiser and Bavaria, which Molson purchased in 2000. Heineken will come out of the merger with a 20% share of the new brewing company, after it contributed US$220m for the Kaiser purchase.
Molson will cover the rest of the purchase price with a combination of company stock and cash.
The deal includes the use of Coca-Cola distribution chain over a 10-year period.
Three quarters of Kaiser was held by a network of small Coca Cola distributors. Heineken owned a 14.2% share, and Coca Cola held 10.3%.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
Heineken Espana is looking to invest heavily in a new plant in southern Spain....
Molson Coors has begun brewing in Russia....
Grupo Empresarial Bavaria is not looking to sell up, its president has confirmed....
The chief financial officer of Brau Union has resigned....
A Heineken joint venture unit is attempting to buy up the remaining shares in Wuerzburger Hofbraeu....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future