UK: Molson Coors steps back from Carling Cup tie-up
The UK & Ireland division of Molson Coors looks set to call time on its Carling lead sponsorship of The League Cup football tournament in England.
The unit, which has sponsored The Carling Cup since 1998, confirmed today (28 September) that it has ceased exclusive negotiations with the Football League to extend the partnership. Molson Coors will continue to sponsor the tournament until the end of the 2011/12 season.
“Carling's sponsorship of the League Cup has been extremely successful and helped to reinforce its status as the UK's best-selling lager and one of the leading supporters of football in this country,” said Chris McDonough, marketing director at Molson Coors (UK & Ireland).
“Despite the contract being up for renewal in 2012 we are continuing to discuss the future of the competition with The Football League.”
Prior to Carling's sponsorship, the tournament has also been known as The Milk Cup and The Coca-Cola Cup.
In the first part of this five-part briefing, Ben Cooper looks at the use of water in the brewing process, and brewers' attempts to reduce the amount wasted, as part of their sustainability efforts....
Part two of this month's briefing sees Ben Cooper consider the role water plays when it comes to the raw materials for brewers....
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Pay freeze anger threatens Carlsberg UK site
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research