CANADA: Molson Coors speaks out over Miller sales performance
Coors has come out fighting after SABMiller said it wants to end its contract in Canada
Molson Coors has defended its record over selling Miller brands in Canada and said it will “strongly defend” its rights to keep distributing them in the country.
SABMiller-owned Miller Brewing Company confirmed yesterday (27 February) that it is cancelling its licensing agreement with Molson Coors, as it believes it can grow its brands better under its own steam. The contract is due to end on 22 July, after Miller gave six month's notice.
However, Molson Coors has lodged a lawsuit in Ontario against the move.
In response to SABMiller’s comment’s, the North American brewer issued a statement yesterday saying that it will be “strongly defending our rights to market and sell Miller brands in Canada” as part of the legal action.
Peter Nowlan, Molson Coors Canada’s COO, added that the company is “proud of the success Miller brands have achieved in Canada under our stewardship for the past twenty years”.
Miller has alleged that Molson Coors had “failed to meet certain volume sales targets”, according to a filing from the North American brewer.
Molson Coors will also argue that Miller has breached the licensing agreement by trying to terminate it, according to the filing.
For the past five years, Coors and SABMiller have operated a JV in the US, MillerCoors.
MillerCoors' plans to launch a new, high-strength "golden" lager may not be surprising on one level, but the wider trend is puzzling....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Global Alcoholic Drinks industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The p...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018