UKRAINE: Molson Coors signs JV deal for Carling with Obolon
Molson Coors, Obolon launch Carling lager in Ukraine
Molson Coors is seeking to bolster its presence in Eastern Europe by launching Carling lager in Ukraine, via a tie-up with local brewer Obolon.
Molson Coors said today (1 June) that 50cl bottles of Carling will be available in grocery stores and bars across Ukraine from this month. The North American brewer has signed a commercial venture with Obolon, which has around a 27% volume share of Ukraine's beer market.
The move signals Molson Coors' desire to improve its presence in emerging markets. Among its multinational peers, Molson Coors remains the most reliant on sluggish beer markets in North America and the UK.
"As the second largest beer market in Eastern Europe, Ukraine presents an excellent opportunity for us to expand our global footprint in emerging markets," said the president of Molson Coors International, Kandy Anand.
The tie-up with Obolon also represents a challenge to Anheuser-Busch InBev, whose Sun InBev subsidiary is Ukraine's largest brewer.
Molson Coors and Obolon will jointly manage the marketing and distribution of Carling. Obolon, meanwhile, will brew and package Carling for the Ukraine market, Molson Coors said.
Beer consumption in Ukraine has risen by an average 8% per year over the past five years, led by the premium category, which now sits at 3m hectolitres, the brewer said.
"With a lower per capita consumption, there is strong growth potential for the market in the coming years."
Obolon's president, Olexandr Slobodyan, added: "We know consumers are looking for quality lagers with the cachet of an import."
They've been arguing for more than 100 years, but are we in danger of reaching some sort of clarity on the Budweiser trademark dispute in Europe?...
Carlsberg has signed a deal to distribute Warsteiner beer in Ukraine....
Craft Brewers Alliance has reiterated its confidence in the continuing rise of craft beer in the US, after reporting rises in nine-month sales and profits....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages