CANADA: Molson Coors seals extended Heineken distribution deal
Molson Coors will handle five extra Heineken brands in Canada from January next year
Under the agreement, Molson Coors' Canada unit will take on the rights to market and sell Dos Equis, Sol, Tecate, Birra Moretti and Desperados from January, 2015. The US and Canada-headquartered firm already handles the Heineken brand, Murphy’s, Newcastle Brown Ale and Strongbow in Canada.
Birra Moretti is currently handled by a "small independent agent", while the other brands are distributed by Sleeman, a Heineken spokesperson told just-drinks.
Molson Coors pointed to a growing appetite for imported beers among consumers in the country. The extra Heineken brands will help it “address this trend”, the company said.
Stewart Glendinning, Molson Coors Canada's CEO & president, said: “We have had a valued partnership with Heineken in Canada for many years and, as always, we will remain focused on building the Heineken portfolio of brands through strong marketing support, investment and innovation.”
Financial terms of the agreement were not dislcosed.
As part of the deal, Molson Coors has also agreed to extend an agreement over Heineken’s distribution of its Coors Light brand in Ireland. The length of the extended deal was not disclosed.
In February, Molson Coors relinquished the distribution rights to the Grupo Modelo portfolio in Canada. Molson Coors received CAD70m (US$67m) in compensation from Anheuser-Busch InBev, which has taken the brands in-house following its US$20bn acquisition of the Mexican firm last year.
The Packaging of Retail Beer & Cider in Canada, 2008 to 2018: Consumption of Primary, Outer, Closure and Multi-pack Packaging
Summary “The Packaging of Retail Beer & Cider in Canada, 2008 to 2018”, published by Canadean, is a data-only report providing extensive and highly detailed time series consumption data on primary and...read more
Beer in United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also con...
Beverages in Canada industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contai...
Heineken Romania SA is expected to consolidate its leading position in beer by further investing in its production facilities and introducing new products. After a successful 2012 for its flavoured/mi...
Whiskey is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage usually made from fermented grain mash such as barley, corn (maize), rye, and wheat....
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends