CANADA: Molson Coors, SABMiller lock horns over licensing deal
SABMiller subsidiary Miller Brewing Company said it will "vigorously" defend the lawsuit
Coors is currently the sales and marketing agent for Miller’s brands in Canada. But, Miller said in a statement today (27 February) that it is ending the contract. The move has prompted Coors, which also has a JV with SABMiller in the US, to file a lawsuit against the decision.
Paul Gurr, Miller’s Canada MD said: “While Miller brands make up only a small percentage of Molson Coors’ Canadian sales, this decision reflects our belief that there exists the opportunity to grow Miller’s brands in Canada.”
The Coors lawsuit was filed in Ontario, according to Miller. A Coors spokesperson declined to comment to just-drinks on the pending case, but said that the company “remains the sales and marketing agent for Miller brands in Canada”.
Miller said it will “vigorously defend” the action and “maintains its right” to end the contract.
The company has given Coors six months notice from 18 January, with the agreement set to terminate on 22 July, it added.
SABMiller has opened a second brewery in Uganda as it seeks to relieve capacity pressures in the country....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research