CANADA: Molson Coors demands Miller lawsuit move
Molson Coors has reportedly asked to have its legal battle over the Canadian rights to the Miller Brewing portfolio be heard in a Canadian court and not the US.
According to a report in Canada's Globe and Mail today (28 February), Molson Coors has asked that Miller's US lawsuit, which was filed in Wisconsin in December, be stayed or dismissed.
The brewer argued that the case "involves a dispute about Canadian law applied to a Canadian contract, negotiated and performed in Canada by a Canadian company".
"It should be litigated in Canada", a Molson Coors statement read in the report.
Molson Coors claims its agreement to sell Miller products in Canada was not violated by the merger between Molson and Coors last year.
Miller's lawsuit contends that Molson has ignored its brands since it joined forces with Coors and that the original deal - first signed in 1989 - is now invalid.
Miller has tried to end the agreement out-of-court but has been frustrated in its attempts to obtain a settlement.
Molson officials had failed to return requests for comment as just-drinks went to press.
Molson Coors is more likely than not to keep hold of its Brazilian operations because of the huge potential of the market there, an analyst has said. This is despite a run of poor results from the com...
Molson is to start production of Coors' Blue Moon beer for the US market from its Montreal brewery....
First quarter losses announced last week by Molson Coors are wider than originally reported, according to a recent filing....
Molson Coors Brewing Company disappointed investors yesterday by reporting a net loss for the first quarter of 2005. The company said that it had achieved higher consolidated net sales and sales volum...
Molson Coors Brewing Company said yesterday that Daniel J. O'Neill, Vice-chairman, synergies and integration and formerly president and CEO of Molson Inc, has chosen to leave the company May 31 of thi...
Heineken has its eyes on possible acquisitions in Latin America, according to the company's CEO....
Molson Canada has announced it has acquired Ontario microbrewery Creemore Springs Brewery Ltd. Established in 1987, the brewery in Creemore, Ontario, 120 kilometres northwest of Toronto, employs 50 pe...
Peter M. R. Kendall, chief executive officer of Coors Brewers Limited, the European business unit of Molson Coors Brewing Company, will retire from his post on 1 May....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends