CANADA: Molson Coors demands Miller lawsuit move
Molson Coors has reportedly asked to have its legal battle over the Canadian rights to the Miller Brewing portfolio be heard in a Canadian court and not the US.
According to a report in Canada's Globe and Mail today (28 February), Molson Coors has asked that Miller's US lawsuit, which was filed in Wisconsin in December, be stayed or dismissed.
The brewer argued that the case "involves a dispute about Canadian law applied to a Canadian contract, negotiated and performed in Canada by a Canadian company".
"It should be litigated in Canada", a Molson Coors statement read in the report.
Molson Coors claims its agreement to sell Miller products in Canada was not violated by the merger between Molson and Coors last year.
Miller's lawsuit contends that Molson has ignored its brands since it joined forces with Coors and that the original deal - first signed in 1989 - is now invalid.
Miller has tried to end the agreement out-of-court but has been frustrated in its attempts to obtain a settlement.
Molson officials had failed to return requests for comment as just-drinks went to press.
Molson Coors is more likely than not to keep hold of its Brazilian operations because of the huge potential of the market there, an analyst has said. This is despite a run of poor results from the com...
Molson is to start production of Coors' Blue Moon beer for the US market from its Montreal brewery....
First quarter losses announced last week by Molson Coors are wider than originally reported, according to a recent filing....
Molson Coors Brewing Company disappointed investors yesterday by reporting a net loss for the first quarter of 2005. The company said that it had achieved higher consolidated net sales and sales volum...
Molson Coors Brewing Company said yesterday that Daniel J. O'Neill, Vice-chairman, synergies and integration and formerly president and CEO of Molson Inc, has chosen to leave the company May 31 of thi...
Heineken has its eyes on possible acquisitions in Latin America, according to the company's CEO....
Molson Canada has announced it has acquired Ontario microbrewery Creemore Springs Brewery Ltd. Established in 1987, the brewery in Creemore, Ontario, 120 kilometres northwest of Toronto, employs 50 pe...
Peter M. R. Kendall, chief executive officer of Coors Brewers Limited, the European business unit of Molson Coors Brewing Company, will retire from his post on 1 May....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends