CANADA: Molson completes Brazilian beer acquisition
Molson Inc. has completed its previously announced purchase of Bavaria, one of Brazil's leading beer brands, from Companhia de Bebidas das Américas (AmBev). The sale received Brazilian regulatory authority approval December 13, 2000.
"With the completion of this transaction, we are well into phase one of our international strategy, which is to successfully enter two of the top five global beer markets," said Daniel J. O'Neill, president and chief executive officer of Molson. "Our profitable growth strategy is extending from our core strategic brands and limited regional growth in Canada, to the US import market, and now internationally into high growth markets such as Brazil."
The Brazilian beer market is four and a half times the size of the Canadian market with annual production of 88 million hectolitres. Presently ranked fourth, Brazil is expected to surpass Germany to become the third largest beer market in the world with an annual growth rate of 4.5%, more than four times Canada's. The Brazilian beer market is also highly concentrated with four major competitors, a growing young adult market and industry experts forecast an estimated 26% increase in per capita beer consumption by 2004.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
Molson Coors Brewing Company disappointed investors yesterday by reporting a net loss for the first quarter of 2005. The company said that it had achieved higher consolidated net sales and sales volum...
Molson Coors Brewing Company said yesterday that Daniel J. O'Neill, Vice-chairman, synergies and integration and formerly president and CEO of Molson Inc, has chosen to leave the company May 31 of thi...
Molson Canada has announced it has acquired Ontario microbrewery Creemore Springs Brewery Ltd. Established in 1987, the brewery in Creemore, Ontario, 120 kilometres northwest of Toronto, employs 50 pe...
Peter M. R. Kendall, chief executive officer of Coors Brewers Limited, the European business unit of Molson Coors Brewing Company, will retire from his post on 1 May....
Molson Coors has appointed a new chief commercial officer for Molson Canada....
Molson Coors has appointed a new chief legal officer....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review