UK: Moet launches single varietal grand crus
Champagne producer Möet & Chandon has launched three single vineyard, grand cru, single varietal Champagnes in the UK.
The fact the largest negociant and 'blender' in the appellation is producing and marketing a range more akin to growers' Champagne, has come as a surprise to many in the industry.
The impact of the range has been significantly increased by the inclusion of a Champagne made solely from Pinot Muenier - as well as single varietal wines produced from Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
While there are plenty of other 'grand cru' Champagnes made from Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, Möet's grand cru Pinot Muenier, is believed to be a first for the appellation.
The wine, named 'Les Champs de Romont', is entitled to its 'grand cru' tag because it is made from grapes grown in the commune of Romont in the village of Sillery, one of just nine villages in the Montagne de Reims given the appellation's top rating.
No-one else in Champagne currently commercially produces three single varietal Champagnes, although a number of growers have made a range of grand cru Champagnes from different villages.
Möet has made just 15,000 bottles of each of the 'Trilogie des grands crus' initially. These non-vintage champagnes - given extra richness and character partly through four years ageing on their lees - are positioned somewhere between Dom Perignon and vintage Möet. They will have limited on and off-trade distribution and will retail for around £55 a bottle.
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018