Product Launch - GLOBAL: Moet Hennessy’s Ardbeg Ardbog
Click through to view Moet Hennessy’s Ardbeg Ardbog
Moet Hennessy’s Ardbeg Ardbog
Category - Spirits, whisky, Scotch, Islay, single malt, 52.1% abv
Available - From 1 June
Location - UK, Europe, US, selected Asia markets, in “specialist retailers”
Price - GBP79.99 (US$124) per 70cl bottle
Distribution - The Glenmorangie Company
Moet Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Co division has lined up this year’s annual limited edition bottling from Ardbeg. Ardbog will be released on 1 June, which the company has designated as ‘Ardbog Day’.
The expression has been aged for ten years in American oak ex-Bourbon barrels and ex-Spanish Manzanilla Sherry butts.
Last year’s limited edition was named after the whisky’s first Ardbeg Day.
Ardbeg Islay Single Malt Scotch whisky has announced that its latest Limited Edition whisky will be called Ardbog, to bring attention to the famed peat bogs of Ardbeg’s island home and to celebrate their vital part in the whisky making process. Dr Bill Lumsden, Director of Distillation and Whisky Creation, explains: ‘The overall combination of effects in Ardbog truly conjures up the impression of ancient, primeval, salty peat bogs, but reassuringly this is combined with some classic, intense Ardbeg notes of leather, toffee and smoke.’
Ardbog is matured for ten years in traditional American oak ex-bourbon barrels and rare ex-Spanish Manzanilla sherry butts. This gives Ardbog a distinctively salty texture accentuating the salty, briny flavours already prevalent in the whisky. Dr Lumsden continues: ‘Every year we try to come up with something interesting and enticing for our Ardbeg fans, and we have for years laid down a range of experiments which may or may not see the light of day! Ardbog is one such experiment.’
‘At its heart our hallmark smoky yet fruity and floral spirit has been matured in Spanish ex-Manzanilla sherry casks for ten years, which has then been wrapped with traditional Ardbeg of the same age that is matured in American ex-bourbon oak casks. The Manzanilla maturation weaves salty flavours through the whisky which is then balanced with the maple syrup creaminess of the first fill ex-bourbon casks. As with all Ardbeg it is about getting the balance of many flavours right so others such as mocha coffee, cloves and even anchovies play their part!’
Ardbog Tasting Notes at 52.1% ABV
- Aroma - Deep, enticing waves of pecan nuts, salty toffee & caramels combine with fudge, leather and with a distinct whiff of herbs, lavender and violets. The smoke is soft and aromatic, and is interwoven with salty, savoury notes, such as Iberico ham and olives. The addition of water brings forth herbal, perfumed notes, smoked rhubarb, aged balsamic vinegar and some salty, 'graphite' notes reminding you of the Manzanilla cask element
- Taste - A full, oily/tingly mouth feel leads into a powerful, salty, savoury burst of flavours including salted cashews and peanuts, clove, aniseed flavoured toffee, green olives and a curious hint of anchovy
- Finish - A long, lingering aftertaste, in which the classic Ardbeg sweetness (like a hint of maple syrup) is kept in check by oak tannins, clove and coffee grounds
Ardbog follows the highly acclaimed Ardbeg Galileo, awarded as the ‘World’s Best Single Malt’ at the World Whisky Awards 2013.
Bottled at 52.1% ABV, Ardbog is non-chill filtered for extra texture and mouth feel.
Ardbog Day will be celebrated at the distillery on Saturday 1st June 2013 and at participating Ardbeg Embassies around the world. For full details go to www.ardbeg.com
Ardbog is available at £79.99 from the following stockists:
The Whisky Shop, Nationwide stores
Royal Mile Whisky, 3 Bloomsbury St, London WC1B 3QE
Vintage House, 42, Old Compton Street, London W1D 4LR
Robbies Drams, Scotland
Original source: Company Release
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages