CHINA: Moet Hennessy silent on Chinese winery developments
The new winery is expected to be completed this year
Moet Hennessy has declined to comment on reports suggesting its new winery in China is set to open by June.
The new US$5.5m winery in the Ningxia Hui region of north-west China will see its first wines hitting shelves next year, according to a report on the website Asia Travel Tips. Premium sparking wines will be produced under the company's Chandon brand name.
The 6,300 sqm facility will feature a fully operational winery, fermentation cellars, tasting rooms and luxury visitor centre,
When contacted by just-drinks today (15 January), however, a Moet Hennessy spokesperson declined to comment on the report.
News of the venture first emerged in May 2011 after Moet Hennessy signed a joint-venture with local agriculture group Ningxia Nongken. The French firm has a 60% controlling stake in the vineyards and Nongken the remaining 40%.
Moet Hennessy previously said that it hoped the Chandon (Ningxia) Winery will become “recognised as China's benchmark producer of premium sparkling wines”.
Meanwhile, the company is also planning to produce a high-end red wine inside China, having last year signed a tie-up deal with Chinese wine group VATS to build a winery in the Yunnan province.
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits