UK: Moet Hennessy advert banned
A Moet Hennessy UK advert for Belvedere vodka has been shot down by the country's advert watchdog.
The print advert, which featured a man sat between two women on a couch in a New York bar, has been banned for linking alcohol to sexual success, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said yesterday (17 December).
It said that the bottle of Belvedere positioned alongside plates and glasses on the table in front of the couch "implied that Belvedere had enhanced the man's attractiveness". One of the women had her arm around the man's neck.
Linking alcohol to sexual success is forbidden under the UK advertising code.
Moet, in its defence, said that all three people were fully clothed in a public place and "there was no suggestion of sexual contact or an erotic atmosphere". At most, it said, one of the women was "mildly flirtatious".
Only one complaint about the advert was received by the ASA, but it has ruled that the ad cannot be run again in that form.
In spite of the tough conditions, rising alcohol duties and the grim task of cutting his UK workforce, George Marsden, E&J Gallo's vice president and general manager for Europe, is relishing what he c...
Jack Daniel's whiskey producer Brown-Forman will report its fourth quarter and full-year results this week, in what should provide further insight into the state of the US spirits market....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
The threat of a federal tax hike on alcohol and sugary soft drinks to help pay for healthcare reform in the US appears to have receded, following comments from leading Senators in the debate....
Constellation Brands has received a wrist slap in the US over the marketing of its since-discontinued Wide Eye schnapps brand....
Brown-Forman has reported falls in both sales and profits for its fiscal full-year, damaged by double-digit declines in its fourth quarter....
People are turning to alcohol to relieve the stress caused by redundancy, according to research by alcohol charity Drinkaware....
Ireland's alcoholic drinks industry has rejected calls for new laws to govern drinks adverts on television....
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- The global tailwinds behind Heineken - Analysis
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends