MEXICO: Modelo to up production in south
Modelo plans to expand capacity at one of its plants in the south of the country. The company has announced plans to increase production at its Tuxtepec brewery, in the state of Oaxaca, by 9m hectolitres, from its current capacity of 7m hectolitres. The extra beer will supply southern Mexico and be exported to Central and South America.
The expansion of Tuxtepec, planned to be completed by the end of 2006, is part of Modelo's aim to reach a total capacity of 60m hectolitres. The Tuxtepec brewery will consequently become the company's second-largest, after its 20m-hectolitre Zacatecas plant.
At a news conference, CEO Carlos Fernandez Gonzalez told reporters that growth for domestic sales volumes this year would be in line with earlier guidance given by Modelo of between 2% and 3%, but could turn out higher. "The reality is that things are going very much in line with what we announced a few weeks ago," Fernandez said.
Earlier this year, Modelo raised beer prices by around 4% in some regions of Mexico.
Sectors: Beer & cider
The imported premium vodka, Svedka, is without doubt a brand success story in the dynamic US premium vodka market. But its raunchy advertising has ridden roughshod over industry rules causing concern ...
Cosentino Signature Wines is looking to raise over GBP10m from its impending stock market float....
Napa Valley's Cosentino Signature Wineries plans to raise US$30m by listing on London's AIM market this month....
UK off-licence retail group Unwins is planning to float its Phillips Newman subsidiary on the Aim stock market, and then plans to float itself on the Aim market, according to the Daily Telegraph....
The European Commission has opened a formal investigation into a planned €7.425m-subsidy package planned by the Dutch government into its country's malt sector. ...
The Swedish state-run alcohol retailer Systembolaget is to set up a subsidiary whose aim will be to cut alcohol consumption, the local press reported today (6 May)....
The UK brewer Young & Co.'s has proposed simplify its share structure, in a plan that is expected to provide greater liquidity in its voting shares....
Danone and Yakult have announced a joint venture to sell probiotic products in India. The move marks the first entrance by either company into the Indian market, in which they are aiming to become lea...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future