MEXICO: Modelo Q1 net profit flat
Net profit reached 998 million pesos in the first quarter as exports increased 7.2% in value. The increase though came from a depreciation in the peso and export volumes fell 7.8%.
The market had expected an increase in profits of 6% but higher operating costs to promote Modelo's beers, took their toll.
"Operating expenses were up 5.2 percent, mainly on the spending on publicity materials for sales points," Modelo said in a statement.
Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) rose 6.4% percent in the first quarter from the year-ago period. Meanwhile operating profit, or earnings before interest and taxes, rose 7.9%, helped by better control of production costs, opportune purchases of commodities and general operating improvements, Modelo said.
Sales rose 1.9% thanks to higher prices introduced early last year although overall volumes fell 1.5%.
"The decline in the export market is because of a difficult comparative base, given that in the same period a year earlier prices were increased for the North American market, which lead to a build up of inventories in the distribution channels of Modelo's products in the United States," the company said.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Anheuser-Busch may have to reinstate workers it dismissed after catching inappropriate behaviour using hidden cameras....
Anheuser-Busch is to follow the US launch of its B(E) beer by rolling out the brand in the UK....
The US brewer Anheuser-Busch said today that it had seen its earnings per share fall 3% in the first quarter of the year, compared to the same period last year as it was hit by difficult trading condi...
Patrick Stokes, president and chief executive officer of Anheuser-Busch Companies, has said that the company's board of directors has declared a regular quarterly dividend....
Berkshire Hathaway Inc., the holding company of billionaire Warren Buffett, has acquired a significant stake in Anheuser-Busch....
Anheuser-Busch has threatened to stop buying rice from Missouri if the state allows genetically modified, drug-making crops to grow within its borders....
China's largest brewer Tsingtao Brewery has reported a 16.4% jump in net profit for the year to Y285m, according to local reports....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts