MEXICO/US: Modelo CEO quits Anheuser-Busch board
The chairman and CEO of Grupo Modelo has resigned from his position on the board of Anheuser-Busch.
Carlos Fernandez, whose family runs the Mexican-company, told A-B today (20 June) that he was stepping down from the post with immediate effect. Neither A-B nor Modelo gave further details behind Fernandez's decision.
In a statement, A-B's president and CEO, August Busch IV, said: "Carlos has always provided great value as a member of our board, with insights into the business. He remains a respected colleague."
Speculation this week has suggested that A-B, which is the subject of a US$46.3bn takeover bid from InBev, has been in talks with Modelo - in which A-B holds a 50% stake - to acquire the other half of the Mexican company.
The brewing sector has seen steady consolidation in recent years and 2008 was certainly no exception. Olly Wehring reviews a year which began with the protracted takeover of S&N by Heineken and Carlsb...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
MillerCoors has bowed to pressure from a coalition of state attourneys general in the US and agreed to remove a range of ingredients, including caffeine, from its Sparks drink....
AmBev has said that it has no knowledge of an investigation into its marketing practices in Brazil, following a local report....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has said it is considering whether to appeal an EU court ruling against its use of the 'Bud' trademark....
A weakening Russian beer market has forced Sun InBev, the Russian subsidiary of brewing giant Anheuser-Busch InBev, to suspend production at its St Petersburg brewery....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has successfully closed a share offering devised to raise more than EUR6bn for InBev's takeover of the US brewing giant....
Czech brewer Budejovický Budvar has successfully challenged Anheuser-Busch InBev's right to the 'Bud' name at an EU court....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China