CHINA: Moët Hennessy to produce red wine in China
Moët Hennessy has signed a joint-veture deal to produce a high-end red wine inside China.
The wine and spirits division of France's LVMH has signed a tie-up deal with Chinese wine group VATS to build a winery in the mountainous Yunnan province of south-west China. The two plan to produce a top red wine within five years.
"The partnership with VATS is a new step in our long-term commitment in China," said Moët Hennessy's CEO, Christophe Navarre. It is also another sign that domestically produced wine will provide stiffer competition to imports in China's emerging wine sector.
Under the name of Moët Hennessy Shangri-La (Deqin) Winery Company, the two firms will establish a 30-hectare vineyard at 2,400 metres above sea level. The French group will send its own winemakers to watch over the site's progress.
It is the third major deal for Moët Hennessy in China. It already owns Chinese white spirits brand Wenjun. Last year, the firm said it would produce a premium sparkling wine in Ningxia.
Earlier this week, we ran part one of our interview with the CEO of Remy Martin, Patrick Piana. Here, in the second and concluding part, Piana looks at the emerging markets as well as the mature marke...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review