CHINA: Moët Hennessy to produce red wine in China
Moët Hennessy has signed a joint-veture deal to produce a high-end red wine inside China.
The wine and spirits division of France's LVMH has signed a tie-up deal with Chinese wine group VATS to build a winery in the mountainous Yunnan province of south-west China. The two plan to produce a top red wine within five years.
"The partnership with VATS is a new step in our long-term commitment in China," said Moët Hennessy's CEO, Christophe Navarre. It is also another sign that domestically produced wine will provide stiffer competition to imports in China's emerging wine sector.
Under the name of Moët Hennessy Shangri-La (Deqin) Winery Company, the two firms will establish a 30-hectare vineyard at 2,400 metres above sea level. The French group will send its own winemakers to watch over the site's progress.
It is the third major deal for Moët Hennessy in China. It already owns Chinese white spirits brand Wenjun. Last year, the firm said it would produce a premium sparkling wine in Ningxia.
Earlier this week, we ran part one of our interview with the CEO of Remy Martin, Patrick Piana. Here, in the second and concluding part, Piana looks at the emerging markets as well as the mature marke...
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research