UK: Mitchells & Butlers makes chairman appointment
Simon Burke has been appointed chairman of Mitchells & Butlers
UK pub group Mitchells & Butlers (M&B) has appointed the previous chairman of Majestic Wine as its non-executive chairman.
Simon Burke will take over from John Lovering, who announced his intention to step down from the role last month. No reason for Lovering's departure was given at the time.
Burke joined the M&B board in January last year as a non-executive deputy chairman. He stepped down as chairman of Majestic, a role he held since 2005, in August.
The appointment is effective immediately and plans are in progress to appoint additional non-executive directors to the board, the firm said.
"Simon has the experience and energy to take the company forward and I am delighted he has accepted this appointment," Lovering said. "I hand over confident that Mitchells & Butlers' strategy will be successfully implemented."
Presented earlier this month at the London International Wine Fair, here, for just-drinks members, is a bonus briefing for May, just-drinks' State of the UK Nation 2011 survey. Here's part one of four...
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- just Five Years Ago: A-B InBev sells Oriental
- Comment - Coke Life: Hit or Miss?
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Remy posts Q1 sales drop as Edrington loss bites
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Distell to take 26% stake in spirits firm KHEAL