UK: Mitchells & Butlers appoints chief executive
Mitchells & Butlers has been without a CEO since October last year
Mitchells & Butlers' year-long search for a CEO has ended after the UK restaurant and pub operator appointed former Marston's executive Alistair Darby.
Darby will replace Bob Ivell, who returns to his role as non-executive chairman after a short handover period, a Mitchells & Butlers (M&B) spokesperson told just-drinks today (10 September). Darby will start on October 8.
M&B has been without a CEO since Jeremy Blood stepped down as interim boss in October last year. He replaced Adam Fowle, who left “by mutual consent” in March last year. Ivell, previously a non-executive director, became non-executive chairman in May last year and executive chairman two months later.
Darby was CCO of Marston’s, where he had been on the board since February 2003. He has held roles with Mars Confectionery, Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries and United Distillers.
In May, M&B saw H1 profits drop slightly. The company blamed inflationary and regulatory cost pressures.
In September last year, the company rejected a takeover bid from Piedmont Inc.
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- This week in spirits & wine
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts