FINLAND: Minister hints at beer, spirits tax roll-back
The Finnish government may look at increasing taxes levied on beers and spirits by 10%, said Liisa Hyssala, the country's Health and Social Services Minister.
"We may look at increasing alcohol taxes as a mechanism to control the consumption of alcohol as part of a broader public health policy," said Hyssala today (12 January).
Timo Jaatanen, managing director of Finland's Brewing and Soft Drinks Industry, said any increase in alcohol tax rates would be "resisted", at a time when beer sales are falling and the industry is lobbying to persuade the Government to further reduce taxes on alcohol by another 20% to 30%.
The Finnish government reduced the tax on beer by 32% in March 2004. This action produced an average drop of 15% in beer prices at retail level. The tax cut did impact on VAT rates levied on beer, which remain at 22%.
State taxes have traditionally accounted for around 60% of the retail price of beer in Finland. Following the tax cut, it accounted for 52% of beer prices.
This week's announcement by UK legislators of the latest plan to tackle alcohol abuse in England is the clearest sign yet that the government is ready to tackle the problem head-on, regardless of the ...
The European Agriculture Commissioner Mariann Fischer Boel has unveiled the detailed plans for reform of the European wine sector, following a year of consultation. As expected, there has been some wa...
Lower alcohol beverages (LABs) are a growing segment of the drinks market as consumer and government concern over alcohol consumption continues to mount. A new paper from the International Center for ...
Diageo North America has launched a multi-million dollar ad campaign for Smirnoff Source, its latest brand offering that combines pure spring water and alcohol....
Sainsbury's has added a new range of low-alcohol wines to its shelves....
Foster's Group has confirmed that it will reduce the alcohol level of its Victoria Bitter beer in Australia. The drinks company told just-drinks today (4 July) that the iconic brand - which accounts f...
Diageo has launched a new television campaign for Crown Royal in the US in an effort to promote responsible drinking....
Skatteverket, Sweden's National Taxation Office, has signalled that it may ask the Government to provide it with new legal powers to force online alcohol sales companies to disclose the names of their...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research