US: MillerCoors shelves Sparks Red launch
MillerCoors has shelved its planned launch of caffeinated alcoholic drink Sparks Red, following a complaint by a coalition of 25 US States.
The brewer told just-drinks last night: "Pending a dialogue with state attorneys general who have expressed concern about Sparks Red, MillerCoors is placing the brewing and distribution of the product on hold."
Last week, a coalition of states' attourneys general, led by Connecticut's Richard Blumenthal, urged MillerCoors to abandon its plan to introduce Sparks Red.
Blumenthal said that the mix of alcohol and caffeine content constituted a "danger" to young people. MillerCoors is already facing a lawsuit over Sparks, filed by the Center for Science in the Public Interest.
MillerCoors said: "The ingredients, formulation and labelling for this new caffeinated alcohol beverage, scheduled to launch
on 1 Oct, were approved by the federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) earlier this year."
It added that it "adhere[s] strictly to our own internal Marketing Code and the Beer Institute Advertising and Marketing Code".
Sectors: Beer & cider
The controversial Australian 'alcopops' tax has been defeated by the country's Senate this week. Michelle Russell looks at the fallout....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Anheuser-Busch InBev has successfully defended its Stella Artois advert campaign in the UK, following an official complaint to the country's advertising watchdog....
The Distilled Spirits Industry Council of Australia (DSICA) has followed Foster's Group in pledging to donate any tax refunds they receive in the country to DrinkWise Australia....
The European Forum for Responsible Drinking (EFRD) has released new guidance for drinks companies in the region, covering marketing on the Internet, as well as digital and mobile communications....
Australia's Foster's Group has said it intends to donate its refund from the country's collapsed RTD tax hike to alcohol and health initiatives....
Australia's tax hike on RTDs lays in tatters today (18 March), after a vote on the increase in the country's Senate....
Heineken plans to lower the abv of the former Scottish & Newcastle white cider brand White Lightning in the UK....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Concha y Toro's Q2 by region, brand - Focus
- A step forward in alcohol research? ISFAR 191
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Beam Suntory's Bowmore 10 Year Old - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review