US: MillerCoors rolls out Miller cans with added punch
The hole in the top of new Miller Lite cans increases air flow
MillerCoors has redesigned its Miller Lite and Miller Genuine Draft cans in the US, to increase air flow.
The cans, launched yesterday (24 April), come with a small dent in the top that can be punched open to give customers a smoother pour, the company said. Punch Top Cans are available in retail accounts across the US starting this week.
They will be the standard can for Miller Lite and Miller Genuine Draft 12oz (35cl) and 16oz (47cl) cans. A MillerCoors spokesman told Just-drinks no other brands will feature the punch top.
MillerCoors has launched a marketing campaign that highlights the different ways customers can open the Punch Top Can. A Miller Lite ad, which can be seen below, shows consumers how to use a house key, golf tee or a rolled-up dollar bill to break the hole.
“In our testing, consumers told us they prefer the Punch Top Can three-to-one over the standard beer can because it's more like drinking from a pilsner glass,” said Amy Breeze, director of innovation and activation for Miller Lite. “[We] think everyone will have a blast exploring different ways to open it.”
The television commercials will run through mid-August on network and cable sports programming, as well as on cable entertainment.
Print, radio, out-of-home and digital advertising, retail point-of-sale and public relations will also support the launch.
The spokesman said MillerCoors did not release details on advertsing spend but added that the media buy is 50 percent greater than the same time last year and includes a teaser campaign.
- Analysis - Stock Spirits: Poland's number one
- What's on the M&A cards for San Miguel Brewery?
- A-B InBev's Move on Tennent's Super Makes Sense
- Comment - Wine - Not on the List
- Interview - PepsiCo chief scientific officer
- Pernod Ricard's Café de Paris Pear, Pomegranate
- PepsiCo CEO sees "profound" change in US consumers
- First Drinks becomes William Grant UK
- William Grant & Sons boosts Travel Retail team
- Pernod takes 84% stake in Avion Spirits