US: MillerCoors' Q1 profits slide despite sales increase
- Q1 like-for-like net profits down by 1.2% to US$271.9m
- Net sales up by 1.6% to $1.79bn
- Operating profits slip by 1.6%, hitting $274.5m
- Beer volumes drop by 1.9%
MillerCoors posted its Q1 results today
MillerCoors has posted a slight dip in first-quarter profits as volumes failed to compete with last year's sunshine-fuelled performance.
The US JV between SABMiller and Molson Coors said today (7 May) that net profits were down by 1.2% to US$271.9m in the three months to the end of March. Net sales increased by 1.6% to $1.79bn over the same period while operating profits dropped by 1.6% to $274.5m.
The company struggled to keep up with last year's first-quarter, when warm weather, especially during St Patrick's day, helped net profits surge by 17% and sales climb by 3.6%. MillerCoors' CEO Tom Long said some fall back was inevitable, but added: “Our portfolio transformation strategy is working as evidenced by our growth in domestic net revenue per barrel, so there is reason for optimism as our strategy unfolds.”
Domestic sales to retailers (STRs) fell by 3.3% in the quarter, with MillerCoors Premium Light down by mid-single digits and Coors Light down by low-single digits, MillerCoors said. Miller Lite declined high-single digits for the quarter.
Tenth and Blake Beer Company grew the MillerCoors craft and import portfolio by high-single digits in the quarter, driven by Blue Moon Brewing Company and the continued national expansion of Batch 19, the company said.
To read the company's official statement, click here.
It's always fun for us to write up the opinions of industry observers when they posit that the next wave of consolidation in one sector or another is set to break some time soon....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Beer in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The...
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review