US: Miller workers prepare to strike
Talks are continuing between Miller Brewing and workers at three of its sites in the US after employees voted to strike due to a dispute over healthcare.
Workers in North Carolina, Texas and California may take industrial action after Miller rejected a union proposal that, they claim, would have saved the brewer a "significant amount of money" on healthcare.
Employees say they have been forced to prepare to strike, due to Miller's "inflexibility" on the issue of health care. "These three locals are one united workforce. SABMiller may be coordinated, but we are just as in sync - with our members and our negotiating teams," said Jack Cipriani, brewery and soft drink conference director for the Teamsters union. "If it takes going out on strike to show Miller that it needs to do the right thing by its workers, then that's where we will go next."
A Miller spokesman told just-drinks that the brewer was hoping to strike a deal with its employees. "We remain hopeful that an agreement satisfactory to all partners will be reached."
As managing director of SABMiller's European division. Alan Clark has a diverse group of markets in his charge, including Russia, Italy, the Canary Islands and Romania. In the second part of this mont...
This month's just-drinks interview is a double-header, featuring two prominent executives from major international brewing groups operating in Europe. First, Olly Wehring discusses the challenges faci...
SABMiller's Chinese associate has snapped up two more breweries as it continues to expand across the world's largest beer market....
Analysts believe Scottish & Newcastle is likely to up its investment in Chongqing Brewery Co. following reports that the parent of the Chinese brewer plans to inject all of its brewing businesses into...
Anheuser-Busch will decide whether to enter India "probably within three months", the head of the US brewing giant's international operations told just-drinks today (12 December)....
The Vietnamese government is to sell off shares in state-owned drinks company Saigon Beer Alcohol Beverage Corp. (Sabeco)....
Carlsberg has finally signalled its entry into India after months of speculation surrounding the brewer's ambitions for the fast-growing beer market....
Industry analysts believe a takeover approach for Ireland's C&C Group is unlikely despite market speculation that SABMiller could be interested in making an approach....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends