UPDATE US: Miller workers authorise strike option
The group of 120 clerical staff allegedly facing a pension freeze at Miller Brewing have voted "overwhelmingly" in favour of possible strike action against the brewer.
According to the Milwaukee-based Office and Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU) Local 35, which represents the workers, parent group SABMiller plans to replace existing pension plans with a US$2 an hour savings plan and a 1% wage increase.
Judy Burnick, business manager of OPEIU Local 35, said: "Our members have worked for Miller for 20 or more years in anticipation of a secure retirement. Now, the company is seeking to take that dream away."
OPEIU Local 35 also said that SABMiller is lining up a new health insurance plan meaning extra medical and pharmaceutical costs for the clerical staff, most of who are over the age of 50.
A Miller Brewing spokesperson told just-drinks: "Taking a strike authorisation is not uncommon at this stage. We do not discuss issues during the negotiation process, and keep this at the bargaining table.
"We are still in talks with the OPEIU and as negotiations continue we hope that an agreement to suit all parties will be reached."
Earlier this year, Miller faced the threat of strike action at three breweries over healthcare payments but struck deals that gave workers a pay increase and a cut in employee healthcare contributions.
Nils S. Andersen has overseen something of a turnaround at Carlsberg since taking over as president and CEO in 1999 but he is determined to keep his and the company's feet on the ground. Dean Best met...
SABMiller plans to invest in its South American operations over the next five years due to a rise in sales volumes and profit growth potential in the region....
One of SABMiller's directors has stepped down....
SABMiller has finally completed the sale of its Pepsi bottling operations in Costa Rica....
SABMiller's Colombian beer unit has been slapped with an antitrust probe in the country....
Diageo and SABMiller are pondering the break-up of Scottish & Newcastle, according to reports....
Tsingtao Brewery has posted an impressive leap in earnings for the second half of 2006....
Coca-Cola Amatil is gearing up for a venture into the alcoholic drinks segment...
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- Beam Suntory to roll out "Scotch-infused" Bourbon
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Spirit Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts