US: Miller modifies controversial ads
Miller Brewing has made changes to the controversial US ads for its Miller Lite brand. The company has become embroiled in a spat with rival brewer Anheuser-Busch over the ads, which claim that Miller Lite "has more taste than Bud Light with half the carbs". Miller has also accused A-B of changing the recipe for its Bud Light brand after witnessing the growing sales of Miller Lite in the US.
The ads have been broadcast on 22 stations across the US but A-B, which insists it has not changed the formula for Bud Light, succeeded in blocking the ads from airing on a further 10 networks. Miller decided on the changes to get the ads in front of a wider audience during the Thanksgiving period, a spokesman told just-drinks
"We submitted changed versions to get the ads on air," the spokesman said today (21 November). "We are still working on the substantiation (of our claims) with the networks and we have a 100% conviction behind those ads."
Miller was asked by the 10 networks to provide evidence to back up its claims. The brewer has pointed to its study of bitterness and carbonation levels in Bud Light, which, Miller argues, show "significant increases" in bitterness in the beer.
Sectors: Beer & cider
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Anheuser-Busch has reiterated its 2005 earnings per share outlook....
Anheuser-Busch is the latest US drinks company to be hit by industrial action....
The US brewer Anheuser-Busch said today that it had seen its earnings per share fall 3% in the first quarter of the year, compared to the same period last year as it was hit by difficult trading condi...
Patrick Stokes, president and chief executive officer of Anheuser-Busch Companies, has said that the company's board of directors has declared a regular quarterly dividend....
Berkshire Hathaway Inc., the holding company of billionaire Warren Buffett, has acquired a significant stake in Anheuser-Busch....
Anheuser-Busch has threatened to stop buying rice from Missouri if the state allows genetically modified, drug-making crops to grow within its borders....
Anheuser-Busch has increased its economic interest in China's Tsingtao to 27% upon its conversion of all the remaining convertible bonds in Tsingtao....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020