US: Miller launch takes its cue from Mexico
Miller Brewing Co. is to launch a beer flavoured with lime and salt, a brand that will take its cue from "chelada", a Mexican-style beer.
The US arm of brewing giant SABMiller will unveil Miller Chill in March and plans to test launch the product in five markets, including Florida, Texas and San Diego.
Miller Chill has been modelled on "chelada" beers, brands that are "personalised" by Hispanic consumers, who add lime and salt to their beer, a Miller spokesman said today (6 February).
"Miller Chill is a modern American take on a Mexican classic," the spokesman told just-drinks.
The product will compete with mainstream light beers, brands that are continuing to grow in popularity in the US.
The spokesman said Miller Chill would be priced between Miller Lite and the import segment, a category lead by Mexican beer Corona.
The launch of Miller Chill, which will be supported by TV advertising in its five test markets, is a further sign that Miller is targeting the more buoyant segments of the US beer market as sales of domestic, mainstream beer remain flat.
In January, Miller began selling Colombian beer Aguila and two Peruvian brands, Cristal and Cusquena, all products that are part of SABMiller's global portfolio.
Last July, SABMiller bought two niche US beer brands, Sparks and Steel Reserve, in a deal worth US$215m.
SABMiller has added to its Polish subsidiary with a brewery acquisition in the country....
SABMiller has announced the retirement of two of its division heads....
UBS has shifted its coverage of SABMiller....
SABMiller has posted a healthy lift in quarterly sales volumes, despite a flat performance by its US division....
SABMiller is preparing to spend up to US$30m on minority shares in two of its Panamanian subsidiaries....
A local broker has lowered its coverage of Mexican brewer Grupo Modelo....
InBev and SABMiller have had their share coverage raised....
Crown Imports has appointed a new vice president of marketing....
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research