US: Miller faces boycott over immigration
Miller Brewing is facing a boycott of its products in the US after several lobby groups accused the brewer of backing illegal immigration.
A coalition of over 100 groups has called on US consumers to boycott Miller products amid claims the brewer gave cash to a Chicago organisation that set up marches supporting illegal immigrants.
"It is time for these large corporations that are using their financial influence to open America's borders to be punished," said William Gheen of advocacy group Americans for Legal Immigration PAC (ALIPAC). "It is time for the immigration enforcement movement to show these unscrupulous corporations what we can do when we all work together."
The coalition has called for consumers to shun Miller's stable of brands including Miller Genuine Draft and Miller Lite as well as selling any shares in the company
Miller denied it had backed the Labor Day immigration march held in Chicago on Monday (4 September) and said it had "never supported illegal immigration".
The brewer added: "Miller will closely review all requests for support from community and charitable organisations to ensure that we are not indirectly funding or associating our name with advocacy efforts on the immigration issue. We plan to stick to the business of brewing, marketing and selling great beer."
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report