CANADA/US: Miller coy as Molson dispute ends
Miller Brewing refused to be drawn on the details surrounding the resolution of a long-running legal dispute with Canadian brewer Molson.
The two sides have settled a two-year row over the distribution of Miller products in Canada. In 2005, Miller launched legal action to end the licensing agreement with Molson after the Canadian brewer merged with US beer maker Coors.
However, Miller said today (22 March) that it had reached an agreement with Molson and extended their contract for the Canadian market
"We are pleased that we have reached a satisfactory resolution and we look forward to focusing on growing our business in Canada," a Miller spokesman told just-drinks.
At the height of the dispute, Miller claimed that Molson's merger with Coors gave the US brewer access to confidential information on the Miller business. Miller also claimed that its brands would get less attention after Molson's combination with Coors.
A Miller spokesman refused to be drawn further. He said: "We aren't saying more at this point."
A spokesperson for Molson in Canada said the two sides had reached an "amicable agreement" but again refused to comment further for "competitive reasons".
The deal sees Molson brew and sell brands including Miller Lite and Miller High Life for the Canadian market.
US beer group Miller Brewing Company is collaborating with the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) in a new motorbike safety initiative called Keep Your Balance....
The Beer Institute has lobbied the US government to the tune of US$310,000 in H1, according to a disclosure form....
Miller Brewing Company has released details of its national and local sponsorship deals covering American football in the US....
SABMiller has announced the retirement of two of its division heads....
Crown Imports has appointed a new vice president of marketing....
Miller Brewing Company has announced that its Hispanic agency of record for its Miller Lite brand will be Lopez Negrete....
Foster's Group and Miller Brewing Company plan to enter into a ten-year license-brewing partnership for Foster's in the US....
Miller Brewing is rolling out a new beer across the US in an attempt to capitalise on the "Latinisation" of the country's culture....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research