IRELAND: Michael Collins whiskey bolsters Cooley earnings
Cooley Distillery saw profits rise 20% last year thanks to a buoyant Irish whiskey category and a successful US debut for its brand Michael Collins.
The Irish distiller's managing director Dr John Teeling said he expects profits to have reached EUR1.6m (US$2.1m) in 2006.
Dr Teeling said sales were up around 10% to EUR11m as its whiskey volumes rose from 180,000 cases to 210,000 cases. The company will release its final figures for 2006 in August, Dr Teeling said.
Nevertheless, he said "the bulk" of the sales increase had come from the sales of Michael Collins Irish whiskey in the US. Cooley launched the brand in the US last year through local importers Sidney Frank.
"The marketing team at Sidney Frank is unsurpassed. They've gone for the super-premium Irish whiskey category with a super-premium product," Dr Teeling told just-drinks today (30 January).
He said growing demand among US consumers for spirits with greater flavour had driven demand for Irish whiskey across the Atlantic.
"Irish whiskey in the US is growing at probably 20% per annum. The US is going to become a 1m-case market for Irish whiskey a lot quicker than anybody expected," Dr Teeling said.
He added: "There has also been massive growth, phenomenal growth in South Africa, which is a market that has grown by 25 times in the last 10 years."
Dr Teeling said Cooley would invest more in marketing this year to push its Connemara, Kilbeggan and Tyrconnell brands.
Champagne Perrier-Jouët has launched the 1999 vintage of its Perrier-Jouët Belle Epoque marque in the UK....
Pernod Ricard has posted a slight lift in sales for its full-year....
Pernod Ricard is bringing a premium addition to its Campo Viejo wine brand to the UK....
Pernod Ricard has lined up a wave of radio advertising for its Jacob's Creek wine brand in the UK....
United Wineries, the largest supplier of Spanish wine to the UK, has appointed a new marketing director for the country....
Chivas Brothers' Scotch whisky brand Ballantine's has become the official sponsor for The Barclays Scottish Open for the next three years....
Carlsberg has shown an interest in Vin & Sprit, the makers of Absolut vodka, after the Swedish government sanctioned the sale of the wine and spirits company....
Chivas Brothers has unveiled an international TV marketing campaign for its Chivas Regal 18-year-old Scotch whisky targeting the financial community....
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo ditches Shui Jing Fang plans in China
- William Grant partners Rugby World Cup
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research