AUS: Merrill Lynch sounds Foster's warning
Analyst Merrill Lynch has said it remains sceptical about the short-term future of beer and wine giant Foster's Group.
Merrill Lynch said today (2 February) that it was "intrigued" by the industry consensus that the company's earnings per share for fiscal 2006 would reach A$0.31 (US$0.23) a share - and maintained its 'sell' recommendation on the stock.
Merrill Lynch said Foster's stock had under-performed by around 20% since it had placed a sell recommendation on the company's stock.
"We certainly believe that it is a very fair question to ask whether a lot of the bad news may now be fully factored into the Foster's share price," the analyst added.
Merrill said conditions in the Australian wine industry were set to "get worse before they get better".
"The 2006 grape crush looks set to be bigger than 2005, and probably 2007 bigger again. Given there is still wine from 2005 looking for a home, and given increase retailer consolidation, pricing in Australia is likely to get worse."
This economic backdrop would likely make it "extremely difficult" to integrate the Southcorp business, Merrill said.
"We believe there is likely to be downside risk to earnings over the coming 12-month period - certainly as the tough industry conditions begin to bite," the analyst added.
A revised assessment by Southcorp's independent expert has valued the company's shares closer to the bid value offered by Foster's Group....
Australian liquor giant Foster's bid for winemaker Southcorp is gathering momentum....
As one takeover story trundles on, another one has just moved up a gear....
The chief executive of Foster's believes the global premium wine industry is on the upturn....
Foster's Group Ltd is expected to announce that it is lifting its offer for fellow Australian Southcorp, transforming three months of corporate hostility into a friendly takeover....
Shares in Southcorp and Foster's have been halted from trading, pending an announcement....
Southcorp's share price has dropped below the offer price made by Foster's for the first time today (18 April)....
Foster's Group is considering upping its bid for Southcorp prior to extending its offer once again....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends