EU: MEPs reject lower tax on restaurant alcohol
The European Parliament has narrowly opposed proposals to allow EU member states to reduce value added tax on alcohol served in restaurants.
Under proposals from the European Commission, restaurant food will become a low-rate tax option for all countries in 2011.
An amendment in the European Parliament calling for alcoholic drinks in restaurants to be included in the proposal was this week rejected by MEPs, however.
EU taxation Commissioner László Kovács said that liberalising restaurant alcohol VAT was a bad idea "considering the global health policy of the EU."
Under the EU's complex national exemptions from EU VAT laws, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg and Portugal already apply reduced VAT rates on restaurant alcohol. Other countries cannot without special EU permission.
Price rises on drinks are not the solution to preventing excess drinking by teenagers and young people in the UK, argues just-drinks' student journalist Becky Pile....
Industry advocates may have branded the recent tax rise for RTDs in Australia a "tax grab masquerading as health policy", but it has shown the Government's resolve when it comes to alcohol regulation....
ThaiBev, the owner of Chang beer and Old Pulteney Scotch whisky, posted a 12% rise in half-year net profits this week, despite a tough six months for its beer business. Michelle Russell exmaines the f...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Police have arrested more than 200 people in one morning in connection with alcohol-related crimes in Manchester, in a massive raid across the UK city....
There is not enough evidence for blanket bans on alcoholic drinks promotions in retailers, Scottish Government officials have said, forcing a u-turn by authorities in Scotland's capital city....
Suntory hopes to emulate potential merger partner Kirin with its first alcohol-free beer-flavoured beverage in Japan....
Brown-Forman today (18 August) launched an online 'issues' forum as part of its corporate responsibility initiative....
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research