UK: MEP Attwooll Toasts Scotch Whisky
Scottish Liberal Democrat MEP, Elspeth Attwooll, has toasted with a dram the health of the Scotch Whisky Association after the decision by members of the European Parliament on a directive which would have had devastating affects on the industry.Ms Attwooll said the EU Water Framework Directive which threatened to impose new controls on water extraction which could have had potentially costly implications for the Scotch Whisky industry.Ms Attwooll said: "The final outcome has built an important exemption for industries such Scotch whisky, where water extraction has little or no impact on the water table."The European Parliament and European environment ministers have shown that they are willing to build flexibility into EU legislation."Scotch whisky producers can sleep more easily tonight. But the battle is not quite over yet."Above all, we must now ensure that the directive is sensibly implemented in Scotland and that the Scottish Executive takes full advantage of the flexibility of this important new legislation to benefit industries such as Scotch whisky which rely, so heavily, on easy access to a good supply of pure clean water."Elspeth Attwooll is the Scottish Liberal Democrat MEP for Scotland.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts