UK: Mentzendorff to release organic Port
Mentzendorff has unveiled a new organic Port.
Pioneered by The Fladgate Partnership, owners of the Fonseca Port house, Terra Prima will be launched in the UK next month, the company said yesterday (10 May).
Terra Prima Organic Reserve is one of the first organic Ports to be developed in the Douro, based on knowledge obtained from the long-term management of a plot which has been organically farmed at Fonseca's Quinta do Panascal since 1992.
In 2002, Terra Prima Organic Reserve became a reality using grapes grown in the Pinhão Valley. At that time, the last stage in the development was to locate a specialist distiller with the ability to produce an organic fortifying spirit which would be approved by the Port Wine Institute, Mentzendorff said. This was achieved and certification awarded by Socert, Portugal.
Terra Prima will be available to taste at next week's London International Wine & Spirit Fair on Mentzendorff's stand (G72), and will retail in the UK at around GBP11 (US$20.50) a bottle.
Kicking off just-drinks' 2006 harvest reports from northern hemisphere wine regions, Chris Losh takes a look at the contrasting fortunes experienced this year by Spanish and Portuguese wine producers....
Bordeaux not only has the most famous, most expensive wines in the world but casts a broad shadow, much to the chagrin of its competitors. Chris Losh sympathises with Bordeaux's less famous rivals as ...
Thirty years after starting his Champagne business, an aggressive sales and acquisition strategy has made Paul-François Vranken one of the most powerful men in Champagne. Richard Woodard met him to di...
The Port industry is currently facing a period of considerable change and adjustment. Innovation and evolving a modern, viable industry structure are seen as vital if Port is to compete effectively in...
Diageo has released a batch of limited-edition malts with a collective age of nearly 200 years....
Multi-media company Firesky Media is set to enter the wine industry....
Port shippers Barros Almeida and Kopke have been bought by Sogevinus, the wine arm of Spanish bank Caixanova, in a deal which makes the company the fourth biggest producer in the Douro Valley....
Talks are continuing over the possible acquisition of the assets of Port producer Cockburn by the Symington Family Port Companies....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends