UK: Mecca Cola launched today
The Islamic-alternative cola Mecca Cola has been launched in the UK today, coinciding with the Muslim Eid-ul-Fitr festival.
As with its sales policy in other countries, 20% of proceeds from the cola-flavoured drink will go to a range of local and international humanitarian concerns. And CA Distribution, the UK distributors for the drink, hopes the beverage will appeal to drinkers beyond the Muslim community.
Rashad Yaqoob, CEO of CA Distribution said: "We believe the UK will respond extremely positively to a credible ethical alternative to existing products, which is committed to promoting leading humanitarian causes. We will be seeking to assist both local and overseas charities, something the general public will be keen to support."
The promotion campaign for the launch includes providing free samples of Mecca Cola to the UK Muslim community at some of the country's main mosques.
As well as 330 ml cans, Mecca Cola is also available in 500mls and 2 litre bottles. The drink is already being sold widely in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, with sales currently exceeding a million litres a day.
Sectors: Soft drinks
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- TWE renames Blossom Hill fruit wine range
- AB InBev launches Budweiser Uber tie-up in UK