UK: Mecca Cola launched today
The Islamic-alternative cola Mecca Cola has been launched in the UK today, coinciding with the Muslim Eid-ul-Fitr festival.
As with its sales policy in other countries, 20% of proceeds from the cola-flavoured drink will go to a range of local and international humanitarian concerns. And CA Distribution, the UK distributors for the drink, hopes the beverage will appeal to drinkers beyond the Muslim community.
Rashad Yaqoob, CEO of CA Distribution said: "We believe the UK will respond extremely positively to a credible ethical alternative to existing products, which is committed to promoting leading humanitarian causes. We will be seeking to assist both local and overseas charities, something the general public will be keen to support."
The promotion campaign for the launch includes providing free samples of Mecca Cola to the UK Muslim community at some of the country's main mosques.
As well as 330 ml cans, Mecca Cola is also available in 500mls and 2 litre bottles. The drink is already being sold widely in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, with sales currently exceeding a million litres a day.
Sectors: Soft drinks
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part V: Wine
- just Five Years Ago - Belvedere Group's Bumpy Ride
- just the Ten - Editor's Viewpoints of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Campari to bag EUR19m with "non-core" assets sale
- Pernod agrees Caribe Cooler sale to Grupo Bepensa
- Pernod wins consent for Glenlivet upgrade
- Thailand pulls back from New Year alcohol ban