Product Launch - UK: McWilliam’s Wines' Weight Watchers-endorsed Harmony and Essenze range
Click through to view McWilliam’s Wines' Weight Watchers-endorsed range
McWilliam’s Wines' Weight Watchers-endorsed Harmony and Essenze range
Category - Wine, Australian, lower-calorie, Semillon Sauvignon Blanc (8% abv), Shiraz (9%) Sparkling Brut (6% abv), Sauvignon Blanc (10% abv)
Available - Expected to be on shelf from 1 January
Location - UK, nation-wide, on- and off-trade, supermarket listings in discussion
Price - SRP GBP8.99 (US$14.40) to GBP9.99
Distribution - PLB Group
Australian winery McWilliam’s Wines has teamed up with Weight Watchers to launch a range of lower-calorie wines in the UK.
The wines are branded with McWilliam’s Wines' colours and logo but with a peel-off sticker containing Weight Watchers information on calorie content. The approach is different to Weight Watchers' range of German wines from Reh Kendermann, which feature the Weight Watchers logo on the bottle and neck.
"Our reaserch told us that our customers want something that looks and tastes like a proper bottle of wine," McWilliam’s export director Lloyd Stephens told just-drinks.
The new range consists of Harmony Sparkling Brut, Harmony Semillon Sauvignon Blanc, Harmony Shiraz and Essenze Vine Dancer Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. It was first launched under the Balance name in Australia in 2010 and New Zealand 18 months ago, also in partnership with Weight Watchers.
Stephens said Australian and New Zealand sales are on track to double this year.
Weight Watchers, the world’s leading provider of weight management services, is working in partnership with McWilliam’s Wines to launch its first endorsed lower alcohol range.
From October, a four-strong portfolio of McWilliam’s Harmony and Essenze lower alcohol wines from Australia and New Zealand will be available with easy peel-off Weight Watchers stickers communicating the ProPoints® value of a single serve, and full nutritional information (including calorie content) included on the back label.
The endorsed products join the existing German Weight Watchers branded wines produced under licence by Reh Kendermann, and will allow Weight Watchers to benefit from the UK’s strong consumer loyalty to New World wine countries, as well as tap into the growing lower alcohol market - a category which now represents over a million cases a year.
The UK partnership follows the success that Weight Watchers has enjoyed in the Australian market, where the McWilliam’s Balance range has been endorsed since 2010. The UK launch, which is being overseen by McWilliam’s Export Director Lloyd Stephens, follows research from Wine Intelligence demonstrating a significant consumer demand for lower alcohol - and therefore lower calorie - wines.
“The research we commissioned shows that consumers have a strong interest in, and demand for, lower alcohol wines but do not want to compromise when it comes to their taste experience,” Stephens explains. “The Weight Watchers endorsement of our wines means consumers can now purchase full-flavoured, lower alcohol wines from a known and trusted quality producer with the clarity and assurance that the Weight Watchers brand and programme provides.”
A 125ml glass of McWilliam’s Harmony Semillon Sauvignon Blanc with an ABV of 8% is a third lower in alcohol and kilojoules than standard wines and has a Weight Watchers ProPoints® value of two.
Neil Murray, Licensing Manager at Weight Watchers UK, says, “The launch of these endorsed wines from McWilliam’s complements the existing Weight Watchers wines that we have in the UK market. Australia and New Zealand are clear growth categories and this partnership is about making dining and entertaining choices wider and easier for those consumers who we know are looking to make healthier choices.”
The Weight Watchers endorsed portfolio of McWilliam’s wines will be distributed exclusively by PLB Group and comprises:
· Harmony Sparkling Brut NV (6% ABV - RRP £9.99)
· Harmony Semillon Sauvignon Blanc (8% ABV) and Shiraz (9% ABV - both RRP £8.99)
· Essenze Vine Dancer Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc (10% ABV - RRP £9.99)
Original source: http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Cognac is back - is Remy Cointreau ready?
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World