AUSTRALIA: McWilliam's seals JV with giant E & J Gallo
Australia's largest family-owned winery McWilliam's has established a joint venture with the world's largest wine producer E&J Gallo Winery of California.
In the deal, Gallo will become the worldwide distributor outside Australia and New Zealand of McWilliam's Hanwood Estate brand. Hanwood Chardonnay and Shiraz will be launched in the UK next February and the US next June through Gallo.
McWilliam's produces about 2.5m cases a year from operations in three south-eastern Australian states. As earlier reported by just-drinks, the initiative follows studies by investment bankers Grant Samuel and accountants PricewaterhouseCoopers and Ernst & Young into growth options for McWilliam's.
The company has been trying to boost exports because domestic sales account for about 82% of its business in a generally flat market. McWilliam's thus joins the increasing number of Australian wineries with formal US ties including BRL Hardy's joint venture with Constellation Brands, Southcorp with Robert Mondavi and Foster's with its Beringer Blass arm.
McWilliam's chief executive Kevin McLintock said the Gallo link was the second strand in a global expansion strategy following an earlier joint venture with its Barwang International company and Jim Beam brands. This had achieved 50% compounded growth since its formation in 1998. The Gallo link will coincide with McWilliam's 125th anniversary next year.
Market for Wine 2001
The Board of Directors of Constellation Brands, Inc. has declared a quarterly dividend on the company's 5.75% Series A Mandatory Convertible Preferred Stock, payable on 1 June, to shareholders of reco...
Constellation is expected to launch a counter-bid for Allied Domecq by the end of this month, according to press reports....
The Hardy Wine Company has posted a record grape harvest....
Constellation Brands is to launch a new Australian wine brand onto the US market through its North Lake Wines. The wine will be called Kelly's Revenge....
This weekend's press reports have thrown up two other interested parties in the potential Allied Domecq carve-up....
Constellation Brands is interested in some of Allied Domecq's spirits brands, according to reports today (15 April)....
Yesterday we ran a story that innaccurately gave details of plans by Constellation Brands to make job cuts at Robert Mondavi. In fact the cuts have already been made and the details of the restructuri...
Constellation has released details of the salaries for its leading executives next year....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Premiumisation comes to bottled water - NPD
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India