GLOBAL: McDonnell quits as Patron Spirits' COO, replacement appointed
Patron has appointed a new global COO and international president
Tequila producer Patron Spirits has appointed a new global chief operating officer and international president as John McDonnell has left the company.
A Patron spokesperson told just-drinks today (30 May): "I'm sad to say that John has decided to leave the company." McDonnell, who is also chairman of The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS), will be looking to "pursue something entrepreneurial" within the drinks industry, according to the spokesperson.
"He's been in the industry 30 years and has recently decided he wanted a change," the spokesperson added.
Just-drinks understands that it was McDonnell's decison to leave the company. Earlier this year, he was appointed international president and had been COO since 2005.
Patron, headquartered in Las Vegas, confirmed that McDonnell's replacement will be Dave Wilson, with effect from 10 June. Wilson, previously president of marketing group Brandmuscle's alcohol group, will report to Patron's CEO & president Ed Brown and be responsible for the "day-to-day worldwide operations and management of the company".
Brown said: "Dave's tremendous experience and leadership will help us grow the future of this company and our brands, and I'm thrilled that he is joining our team."
Wilson began his carreer in the spirits industry at Seagram, holding various production, finance, sales and marketing positions. After Seagram, he spent nine years in executive roles at National Wine and Spirits and at Southern Wine & Spirits.
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends